Saturday 20 September 2008

Matthew Williamson

The Matthew Williamson exhibition at the Urbis in Manchester was well worth a visit. Especially because it was free as well. The fashion world always inspires me. I really enjoyed the exhibition and found Williamson’s work a great inspiration. On display was some truly beautiful dresses worn by some of the most glamorous stars such as Sienna Miller, Keira Knightly and Jade Jagger, as well as some of his 2008 Spring/Summer garments.



Matthew Williamson’s designs and approach seemed to strike a chord with some of my own interests. I love the exotic nature of his pieces and the fact that the dresses are so beautiful and sensual. I admire how he uses delicate silk fabrics combined with a bold print, which enhances the movement and flow of the garment. Embellishment with beads and jewels adds a further sense of glamour giving an intricate, feminine feel, another thing that I love. I especially like how he adorns pieces with brooches and jewellery reflecting his collected travel pieces and acting like souvenirs, which give a truly precious feel.


Travel is an important part in Williamson’s designs. India has especially been a huge influence on his design work. His influence of individual craftsmanship from India is apparent in his work. Each garment seems to reflect a travel destination and I find this travelled style inspiring.
His fascination with Chinoiserie motifs became influential. One of his designs originally began as wallpaper, which Williamson hand painted over and embellished with jewels for one of his stores, which was then re-designed as a one of couture garment, one of my favourites from the collection.

No comments: